Handmade silk rug
275 x 184cm (9' x 6')
This intricate Kashmir silk carpet depicts the famous Persian garden design. During the Persian empire, Shah Abbas commissioned weavers to make a carpet showing his magnificent garden by depicting the different seasons of the year. The garden was divided up by channels of water which are represented by the straight lines. The pile is 100% silk, and it has been woven onto a cotton warp and weft with 18 x 18 (324) knots to the square inch. The majority of the silk is produced in China and Brazil.
Please click the hyperlinks in gold if you are interested in additional information.
Carpet making began in Kashmir during the 16th Century but gained momentum in the 19th century when the market for Kashmir shawls dwindled. Already skilled at the fine work involved in making the shawls, the people soon adapted to making finely knotted rugs and carpets. Today, most of the carpet weaving in Kashmir is done in the North around the town of Srinagar, the capital of Indian Kashmir. Many of the patterns used are classical Persian designs from Isfahan, Nain, Tabriz, Ardabil, Kashan and Qum. Although they are renowned for their fine silk in Kashmir, they also weave rugs and carpets in wool.
When considering buying online, it is worth thinking about the company's provenance and the rug. We are a family business with over 60 years of experience selling rugs. We have an unrivalled reputation and pride ourselves in the level of customer service. We welcome visits to the Tewkesbury shop; alternatively, we are pleased to assist with-online enquiries by email or telephone.
It is worth being reminded that these handmade rugs are unique and special; owning one is something you can enjoy for many years.
We recommend the use of an underlay with this product:
Foxi-underlay to provide grip to stop handmade rugs from moving
For uneven surfaces, we would recommend our Felt underlay:
Felt underlay for uneven floors
275 x 184cm (9' x 6')
- Vacuum using suction only Please do not vacuum fringes
- We recommend an underlay to prolong the life of your rug and to protect against possible dye transfer.
- Spot Cleaning:
- Blot spills with absorbent cloths, do not rub or use detergent cleaning products. Spot clean with minimal liquid using soap-based products, preferably using the froth or lather.
- Full Clean:
- Specialist Cleaning only.
- Country of Origin:
- Country of Distribution:
Additional non-returnable items:
* Gift cards
To complete your return, we require a receipt or proof of purchase.
Please do not send your purchase back to the manufacturer.
* Any item not in its original condition, is damaged or missing parts for reasons not due to our error.
* Any item that is returned more than 30 days after delivery
Refunds (if applicable)
Late or missing refunds (if applicable)
- If you haven’t received a refund yet, first check your bank account again.
- Next contact your bank. There is often some processing time before a refund is posted.
Sale items (if applicable)
Only regular priced items may be refunded, unfortunately sale items cannot be refunded.
Exchanges (if applicable)
Depending on where you live, the time it may take for your exchanged product to reach you, may vary.